Another year, another set of brand spanking new iPhones. But this year, little has been left to the imagination as leaks have continued to spring up over the course of the past few months.
Today, however, the new iPhone becomes official. Apple has introduced a new models of the premium iPhone, the iPhone XS. This shows that Apple’s 2018-2019 lineup is a big moment for the tech giant, which shook up its iPhone range in 2017 when it introduced the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, effectively killing any chance of a future iPhone 9 and turning its whole iPhone naming scheme on its head.
At a time when phones are becoming more and more expensive, Apple’s decision to embrace the new “X” family is important because it cements a new strategy for Apple, one that will continue to set the pace for phone makers as we move toward 2019.
So let’s take a look at the details of iPhone XS and XS Max specs.
- Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458 ppi) and 6.5-inch (458 ppi), with OLED HDR screen (Super Retina displays)
- Colours: Gold, silver and space gray finishes.
- Dual camera: 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses.
- Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
- A12 Bionic chip: 7-nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones.
- Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
- Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
- Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology.
- Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones.
- 3D Touch pressure-sensitive screen
Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones.
- iOS 12 software.
Pricing and Availability
Both the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max come in three configurations: 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB. The iPhone XS starts at $999, while the iPhone XS Max starts at $1099.
Pre-orders begin on Friday, September 14, and the products will ship (and be available in store) on September 21.